I know they’re in here somewhere … gimme a few minutes.
After CNN, I worked on video and other social media verification, finding the story, the source, the image, the video from the cacophony of Twitter, Facebook and the like. It’s a dirty job, but somebody’s got to do it.
All of that work is behind a firewall, for clients only. But since leaving there, I’ve been writing features. Here’s the most recent, for Smoky Mountain Living magazine. There’s more coming, but they’ve not yet been published.
Here’s a couple of actual news stories from my days at CNN:
- Bernie Wilson of Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes fame obituary
- George W. Bush goes for some marine conservation
- Galveston, 1900
- Police shooting suspect may have been white supremacist
- Letter from shooting suspect reveals paranoia
- Seismic activity in country’s center sparks debate (I got tagged all over the internet for talking about “the big one,” as if I didn’t know it’s not really real — but my premise was that a lot of people were talking about it, and the story was about New Madrid anyway)
- Peace prospects uncertain as Israel looks to new elections
Here’s three feature stories from my time as staff writer for a weekly newspaper in the early-1990s. They’re in pdf format. Enjoy.
- Postcards from Camp (about the tribulations of operating a lesbian camp in very rural Mississippi)
- Common Bond (two lesbians survive a massive flood in rural Georgia with the help of their neighbors)
- Gay in Hutsville (a gay homeless community. I share a byline on this story, but in reality I wrote it — Liz gathered the information)